Apple & Stilton Faux Welsh Rarebit Bites
Makes 24 Bites
|Apple & Stilton Faux Welsh Rarebit Bites|
This fun bite-sized twist on the classic British Welsh Rarebit is a simple, easy to make real treat. The classic dish features a thick savory sauce of Cheddar cheese, beer, and spices, spread on toast. In this recipe, piquant Stilton replaces the more traditional cheddar with apple adding a sweet crunch.
- ½ thin baguette, cut into ½-inch slices
- 3 Tb unsalted butter, melted
- 1 small tart apple, such as Granny Smith, peeled, halved cored & thinly sliced
- 8 oz. crumbled Stilton or blue cheese, at room temperature
- 3 Tb crème fraiche
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp honey
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Brush baguette slices with melted butter; working in batches, grill, flipping once, until golden on both sides, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Layer 2 thin apple slices on each toast; set aside.
Arrange an oven rack 4-inches from broiler and heat broiler to high. Mix cheese, crème fraiche, Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard, honey, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
|Cheese mixture for the baguettes|
Spread about 1 Tb of the cheese mixture over each toast. Broil until topping is melted and golden brown, about 4 minutes.
Serve warm or room temperature and enjoy!